Hi... new php guy :-)

jadelantern

Hi guys in new here, this is my first post….

I have been using php for a few weeks and I have got to say I love it!  I bought a book called “Head first my php and mysql”.  I like the book but im getting a little frustrated with it because I see all this really cool stuff you can do with php and the book is really slooooowww!

Ive decided im going to try to jump into the forums and try to pick up some things by doing them and analyzing and writing code… im just Anxious because I really like PHP and want to get into it and do more advance things….

But im a jr sql dba from Richmond va, (hopefully relocating to NC sometime soon for a new job working with php), I have 12 – 13 years of i.t. experience but am looking to become an administrator to take my career in a new direction… am hoping to get php, javascript, C# under my belt in the next few years!

Yet some more material you can pick up.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=58799.0

But honestly, pick a good tutorial, get your feet wet and then you can pick up that book that you have and only read through the super-easy parts without trying the code out (unless it's something you never seen before).  After that, make something.  Make a little blog or forum.  After that, you will have the skills and the confidence to tackle bigger projects.  This should all take you about 3 months tops (less if you have the free time and motivation to be more concentrated).

After that, ask the fine folks here how you can grow beyond that :) .

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.