How Should Filter My Post Array

vincej

Hi - I am uploading Post variables off a form relating to products and customer orders. If a product has a quantity attached to it then all the POST variables relating to that product need to INSERTED into the DB. If a product has just an empty string in it's quantity variable, then that product does not get INSERTED.  So I thought of 2 different approaches:

A) I could filter the Quantity Post variable for a positive values then create a new array only containing products with positive quantities. 

B) I could loop through the product Id (ProdID) POST and using a condition pull out the products with a positive quantity for Insertion.

I have been experimenting with B and have failed miserably.

However I have succeeded excellently in building some code which INSERTS all the products regardless of their quantities ( see below ) - not ideal as it enters products with empty quantities.

I would prefer to adapt what I have rather than throw it away.

Can someone kind person give this student a hand with some advice in adapting what I have got ?

MANY MANY THANKS !

<?php

function insert_tel_order(){
	$lastname = $_POST['lastname'];
	$orderid = strtoupper(substr($lastname,0,3)).(substr(time(),-4)); 	//Creates a unique order number
	$customerid = $_POST['customerid'];
	$pickupdate = $_POST['pickupdate'];
	$deliverylocationid = $_POST['deliverylocationid'];
	$orderdate = $_POST['orderdate'];

foreach ($_POST['prodid'] as $arrkey => $prodid){
	$quantity = $_POST['quantity'][$arrkey];
	$prodid = $_POST['prodid'][$arrkey];
	$price = $_POST['price'][$arrkey];
	$ordervalue = $quantity * $price;

$sql ="	INSERT INTO `order` (id, orderid,orderdate,customerid, deliverylocationid,pickupdate,prodid,price, quantity, ordervalue, status) 
	VALUES ('', '$orderid',$orderdate,$customerid,$deliverylocationid,$pickupdate,$prodid,$price,$quantity,$ordervalue,'')";
	$this->db->query($sql);

}

}

?>

Just wrapping the insert in a simple IF statement should do the job.

<?php
function insert_tel_order(){
	$lastname = $_POST['lastname'];
	$orderid = strtoupper(substr($lastname,0,3)).(substr(time(),-4)); 	//Creates a unique order number
	$customerid = $_POST['customerid'];
	$pickupdate = $_POST['pickupdate'];
	$deliverylocationid = $_POST['deliverylocationid'];
	$orderdate = $_POST['orderdate'];

foreach ($_POST['prodid'] as $arrkey => $prodid){
	$quantity = $_POST['quantity'][$arrkey];
	$prodid = $_POST['prodid'][$arrkey];
	$price = $_POST['price'][$arrkey];
	$ordervalue = $quantity * $price;
		if ($quantity>=1){
		$sql ="	INSERT INTO `order` (id, orderid,orderdate,customerid, deliverylocationid,pickupdate,prodid,price, quantity, ordervalue, status) 
		VALUES ('', '$orderid',$orderdate,$customerid,$deliverylocationid,$pickupdate,$prodid,$price,$quantity,$ordervalue,'')";
		$this->db->query($sql);
		}		
	}
}
?>

Just use a continue in the foreach loop:

if( $quantity <= 0 || $quantity == '' || $quantity == null ){ continue; } //skips anything after this point and goes to the next iteration of the foreach

Checking a variable against null using the == comparison operator is not recommended:

$quantity == null

will return TRUE in this case, even though $quantity is not a true NULL value.

.. || is_null($quantity)

will return FALSE, as will:

$quantity === null

Instead, use isset or empty, depending on situation, to check whether a variable has been set or contains a value, respectively.

Edit: if you are worried about a certain value not being set, or a combination of a value maybe not being set AND not having a value, use a combo of isset() and empty():

<?php
if (!isset($quantity) || empty($quantity)) {
continue;
}

Or, if you're certain that variable has been set at some point in your code already, you can simply use empty():

<?php
if (!empty($quantity)) {
continue;
}

empty covers a solid range of possibilities which replaces the need to do multiple checks that are basically the same:

if( $quantity <= 0 || $quantity == '' || $quantity == null ){ continue; }

Is like saying, "if $quantity is <= 0 OR if $quantity contains no value/is empty OR $quantity has an unknown value"

When empty() will replace all that jazz in one swoop.

Just use a continue in the foreach loop:

if( $quantity <= 0 || $quantity == '' || $quantity == null ){ continue; } //skips anything after this point and goes to the next iteration of the foreach

Checking a variable against null using the == comparison operator is not recommended:

$quantity == null

will return TRUE in this case, even though $quantity is not a true NULL value.

.. || is_null($quantity)

will return FALSE, as will:

$quantity === null

Instead, use isset or empty, depending on situation, to check whether a variable has been set or contains a value, respectively.

Edit: if you are worried about a certain value not being set, or a combination of a value maybe not being set AND not having a value, use a combo of isset() and empty():

<?php
if (!isset($quantity) || empty($quantity)) {
continue;
}

Or, if you're certain that variable has been set at some point in your code already, you can simply use empty():

<?php
if (!empty($quantity)) {
continue;
}

empty covers a solid range of possibilities which replaces the need to do multiple checks that are basically the same:

if( $quantity <= 0 || $quantity == '' || $quantity == null ){ continue; }

Is like saying, "if $quantity is <= 0 OR if $quantity contains no value/is empty OR $quantity has an unknown value"

When empty() will replace all that jazz in one swoop.

You're right.

This thread is more than a year old.