Starting out

rick.emmet

Hi Everyone,

I just started working with Javascript, I have taken classes in the past, maybe 5 years ago, but have to implement form validation and a couple of other (minor) things. I have been reading about Spry (Dreamweaver CS4) and have a sneaky suspicion that I will find using this as frustrating as everything else in CS4. The more I use Dreamweaver, the less I like it. I find that it doesn't quite do what I need it to do and I'm going to have to "get under the hood" anyway, so I might as well just learn underling language. In the long run I'll understand more and be able to do the develop work more quickly.

I think that I will need to use a framework (as opposed to simple javascript) and would like your comments on what I should study. Is there a clear industry standard? What framework do you prefer? What is the easiest to implement? Also, can you suggest a book on the subject? Any comments would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

Rick

you will find that one of the most popular javascript frameworks used at the moments is JQuery. You should look into using that. I personally despise dreamweaver, and find it an appalling environment to code in. If you are looking for an IDE that supports javascript you can look at Aptana studio, spket and netbeans as alternatives to dreamweaver.

But, even if you learn to use jquery , it is no replacement for learning the native javascript language too.

Hi Gristoi,

Thanks for the reply! I'll start reading a JQuery book and brush up on javascript; since I'll be doing basically the same thing over and over, it should be straight forward to write the code. At this point I only use Dreamweaver as an editor, it's so bizarre, who is the target market for that app?

Cheers,

Rick

Some people want to use a WYSIWYG editor for some reason.. I mean it's good to know, you may be required to use Dreamweaver for a job or something. I'm personally not looking forward to the class I'm taking on it in 2 days, but hey at least I took it in a 4-6 week summer class rather than a 16 week normal semester eh? Lol.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.