CMS Design eBook

macross

Is there any decent eBook about building content management system from scratch which would use front-controller design pattern? Everything i find on the internet it's just plain old html/php smashup. I have searched and found only one book which is exactly what i wanted it's called "CMS Design Using PHP and jQuery", but as soon as i started reading it became clear that it's horrible (Bad programming practices)... Variable names starts with one letter like $j, $r directory names also with one letter, loops nested 4 levels up while you can achieve same thing with one loop... It's really hard to understand what’s happening when all I can see is spaghetti code. So maybe someone could point me to a decent eBook?

I hope this is correct section for my question if not please move it.

Pro PHP: Patterns, Frameworks, Testing and More by Kevin McArthur is pretty good, explanations of design patterns which lead to practical usage with Zend Framework.  I'm not sure if that's acceptable to you. 

OOA/D and design pattern books abound, but are largely language agnostic as they are a core concept to programming most modern programming, not specificly to PHP.

Martin Fowler, et al - Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Jason Sweat - php|architect's Guide to PHP Design Patterns

Eric Freeman, et al - Head First Design Patterns [Obligatory O'Reilly Book and really good]

Zend Framework 1 is a behemoth, but at its core its a very well written object oriented framework, read it.

ZF2 is under active development and might be a bit confusing, beta4 was just released just recently.

Symfony2 is another good code read.

Lithium, Solar, micromvc, even tools like phing have a good or decent design you might want to read through.

Pro PHP: Patterns, Frameworks, Testing and More by Kevin McArthur is pretty good, explanations of design patterns which lead to practical usage with Zend Framework.  I'm not sure if that's acceptable to you. 

OOA/D and design pattern books abound, but are largely language agnostic as they are a core concept to programming most modern programming, not specificly to PHP.

Martin Fowler, et al - Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Jason Sweat - php|architect's Guide to PHP Design Patterns

Eric Freeman, et al - Head First Design Patterns [Obligatory O'Reilly Book and really good]

Zend Framework 1 is a behemoth, but at its core its a very well written object oriented framework, read it.

ZF2 is under active development and might be a bit confusing, beta4 was just released just recently.

Symfony2 is another good code read.

Lithium, Solar, micromvc, even tools like phing have a good or decent design you might want to read through.

Thanks i will look into those books.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.