Need to start a hosting company

renfley

So here is the deal i need to setup a website/host/payment and everything related to web site hosting.

I have exactly 25 guys who want to get their stuff locally hosted and well I've taken the job to get this done. My real question is does anyone know of a pre-built script for the site that can handle payment and features and also reseller or VPS. Now I've found phpcoin but was hoping to get a bit more information from  someone on here that has done this before.

PS: I only need to host exactly 25 sites.  Any help or pointer greatly appreciated.

I'm a little confused. Which is it: you want to start a hosting company, or you need to host websites for 25 people? The solutions are pretty different for each scenario.

If you want to be an actual web host, I would recommend starting off with a reseller package from a decent host. That will get you set up on a solid infrastructure with a whole bunch of experts on hand for any problems you run into, plus (usually) free management software.

If you just want to host websites for 25 people, you might be better off setting up your own server so that you have more control. Depending on the disk space and bandwidth requirements you might be able to get away with a couple VPS's from someone like Linode. Alternatively, you could rent a dedicated server or collocate your own box.

As far as online payment, it shouldn't be too hard to get a Paypal merchant script setup. You could even install a light eCommerce platform if you wanted. For server management, there are a few open source or free cPanel alternatives like Webmin or VHCS. Or, you could purchase a cPanel license (but they are pretty costly).

Hope that helps.

Well i want to run it like an everyday web hosting company. to allow for user registrations and such. I would like to be able to add user in the future but i just dont have time for that right now with a new baby and all.

Get an unmanaged server or your own colocated server, one all your own none of that shared reseller garbage, get WHM/cPanel & WHMCS licenses, an authorize.net account, install, configure and you're a happy monkey, until things start to go wrong.

There are less stream-lined ways to do it, there are web hosting panel alternatives, billing alternatives, panel-less webhosting setups and so on but if you're looking to do it like every other guy who thought it would be a good idea to setup a web hosting biz in the last decade, that's the way to do it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.