#1 Gast

Gast
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSouth East England

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

I know that Oracle is stupidly expensive, I was just wondering why people would buy a database such as this when MySQL, PostgreSQL and even Access can do virtually everything needed for free.

Does anyone have it and can share your thoughts because I am interested to know?
OS and Internet Specs:
Windows XP (with SP2), 1680x1050, PHP 4, MySQL 3, Internet Explorer 6 &7 /FireFox 2.0/Opera 9.2

Tutorials:
Simple Introduction to AJAX and XMLHttpRequest
Creating Live Data with AJAX Making a Google Suggest like application

#2 daiwa

daiwa
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

I know that Oracle is stupidly expensive, I was just wondering why people would buy a database such as this when MySQL, PostgreSQL and even Access can do virtually everything needed for free.

Does anyone have it and can share your thoughts because I am interested to know?

View Post

You might not want to state that your Acess is free......

also its not virtually everything to certain people mysql 4.0 does not support referencial integrity and stored procedures and the like. do a bit of googling you'll find lots of stuff about this. the new Mysql post on /. had alot of "informative" things about the difference from the Zealots on both side of the fence

#3 Arenium

Arenium
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 03:11 AM

Google is your friend.

#4 gizmola

gizmola
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 4,664 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA USA

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

It would just take a really long time to go through all the features that Oracle has. It has a long long head start on the competition, and has every feature imaginable in the relational database world.

#5 jerry_th

jerry_th
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

Oracle has released a free version of Oracle 10, at last !, with very few limitations
( none that should matter if you are not running an enterprise system ) that you can use
and/or distribute with your apps etc....
As stated before, Oracle has very many features and to compare these to other db's in a note like this is not possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users