Comparing Array element against string

rvdb86

Hey guys,

I feel like a complete NOOB I just dont understand why the if statement that I am trying to use isn't working and I would really appreciate some help!

I am looping through an array, and when one of the elements matches a string I would like to output something:

Here is my code:

while($line = mysql_fetch_array($result)){

if($line['action'] != "wow_displayed"){
			echo "WE HAVE IT! - ".$line['action'];
			echo "<br />";
		}
}

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong  :confused:

TIA for any help or suggestions!

Hey Barand,

Thanks for helping me. I have tried this earlier, and as you can see from the output below it does not seem to work:

Code:

if($line['action'] != "wow_displayed"){
			echo $line['action'];
			echo "<br />";
		}

Output:

wow_displayed 
[b]lower_device[/b] 
raise_device 
videoplaceholder 
lower_device 
switchToObject1 

(to get the output I changed the if statement to !=  when it was set to == nothing was outputted.)

Your actual data likely contains some white-space characters. How did this data originally get inserted into the database table?

Use var_dump($line['action']); to display the actual length of each piece of data.

Lastly, in general, you should not be looping through a result set from a query to 'find' if the result set contains a particular value. You should have a WHERE clause in your query statement so that the query only returns the row(s) you are interested in.

edit: fixed inline-code tag and the missing 'not' in the last paragraph

ignace your solution solved the problem!

Did you read PFMaBiSmAd's post? You should take note to what he said and apply it!

Lastly, in general, you should be looping through a result set from a query to 'find' if the result set contains a particular value. You should have a WHERE clause in your query statement so that the query only returns the row(s) you are interested in.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.