SELECT statement errors

MjM8082

I'm trying to pull information out of my database and display it on my index.php page for my site.

I know it is not my connection because my insert statement works just fine... not sure what the problem might be?

Here is a look at my php code.

include "connect_to_mysql.php"; 
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE title='$title' AND content='$content'");
$result = mysql_query ($query); 
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) { 

$title = stripslashes($row['title']); 

$display_block .= "<p><strong></strong> $title </p>"; 
} 

A few things:

1. You do not have any error handling on your query. It would have told you the query was empty.

2. Create your queries as string variables. Then if there is an error you can echo the query to the page to inspect it for errors.

3. If you are only using the 'title' from the table, then don't use '*' in your select query. It is a waste of resources.

4. Why are you using stripslashes() on a value extracted from the database? Always understand what 'format' the values shoud be in and what processes should be used to escape the values based upon the usage.

What does this give you?

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE title='$title' AND content='$content'");
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) { 

$title = $row['title']; 

$display_block .= "<p><strong></strong>" . $title . "</p>"; 
}

You might want to take out the $display_block out of your loop. It would be better to try something like this to see if it works:

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)) { 

$title = $row['title']; 

}
echo $title;

Since $title and $content don't exist in the code you are using, there's no way that the query will match any rows in your database table. What exactly are you trying to achieve by that query statement and where are you expecting $title and $content to be set from?

Notice: Undefined index: title in /home6/projeev1/public_html/maddykelley/blankpage.php on line 18

Notice: Undefined index: content in /home6/projeev1/public_html/maddykelley/blankpage.php on line 19

These are the errors I am getting

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.