need some redirection on a "build it" form.

turpentyne

Ok... I'm starting from scratch. I know there's an easier way to do what I want to do, but I dove in head-first with an empty pool of knowledge on this apparently. So, starting from the beginning, how would I go about doing this. I think it's probably easier than I've made it. Everything about my current code is broken/ inneficent.

I want to build a page where t customer builds their own product from different components. After they choose option A1 or A2, the page reloads, or a div shows that lists the B options available to what they picked, after that, they get the C choice they made. And so on.

As they make each choice in the form, I also want to give them a running list of their choices to the side: I.E. "you have chosen: A: 2, B: 5, C: 1, etc.

I have three main tables that they're working from:

1. component_categories: the different categories of items - essentially  A, B, C, D as shown above.

2. Components: the 1 or 2 or 3, etcetera.

3. I also have a many-to-many link table, components_to_components, that lists the component id, and then the compatible component id. for example:

A1 is compatible with B2

A1 is compatible with B4

A2 is compatible with B2

A2 is compatible with B3

B2 is compatible with C3 and so on.

A loose outline, anything would help. I can post what I have right now, but it's such a confusing mess and I'd really like to start over from scratch with the simplest, most elegant solution, so I know how to do this for the future. How would you build such a section?

If I were you, and knowing loosely what you want, I think I'd do it in a manner similar to this one:

// Check if something has been posted.
if (!empty ($_POST)) {
// Validate options selected, and return an associative array with the selections.
$selected = fetch_options ($_POST);

// Retrieve the available options, based upon what's previously selected.
$available = $db->query ('SELECT * WHERE $selected');

// Create a drop-down list for each category, from the results of the query.
// Last parameter is used to set the default value, if something has been selected.
create_dropdown ('option_list_1', $available['options_1'], $selected['option_1']);
create_dropdown ('option_list_2', $available['options_2'], $selected['option_2']);
create_dropdown ('option_list_3', $available['options_3'], $selected['option_3']);

// Add the breadcrumb trail for the selection.
$template->addCrumb ($selected);

// Create the DIV with the finished product details.
$template->addProduct ($selected);
}

// Show the form with the drop-down lists.
$template->showForm ();

Should give you something to think about, at least. ;)

Sorry about the long reply time, by the way. Your question is quite expansive and rather open ended, so needed to mull it over a bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.