PHP switch, case, and passing info from one page to another

rawkhopper

Hi guys,  I am very new to php and when I started this project I thought I was keeping it simple to just reduce cutting and pasting to a bunch of different pages updates.  Anyway I settled on php with a main page with switch and case to get the job done.  The page works beautifully with one known exception.  One of my pages calls a php page (that I did not write) and uses a ? appended to the URL to pass arguments? to the php page.  If I set the default case to the php page that the arguments need to pass through to then all works well.  But if I set the default to any other page the argument is sent to the default page.  Is there a way to pass the argument to the appropriate page?  I have tried to search for the answer but due to my lack of knowledge I am unsure how to search for the answer. 

So to rephrase I have a simple php page that uses switch and case to call other php pages that are really just html.  One of the pages called through a case is a true php page that I did not write.  Arguments, or whatever you call them, are passed through to the php page through a ? in the address bar.  Unfortunately I can only pass arguments in the address bar to the default case.  Can anyone help me send these arguments to a non default page?

Arrg asked the question but now I feel so stupid.  I did not look to see how the php script that is not mine is sending arguments to itself.  Anyway I figured out what is going on and a slight mod to the script that I did not write will work. Sorry I can't really post examples as that would take too much work since I would have to know more about the php that I didn't write.  My guess is that posting a link to a site is probably frowned upon.  But thanks for the willingness to help out a newb. 

Well your comment

If your switch is just including pages then it shouldn't be a problem, since the included page can access the $_GET global.

helped me to think about how the other php script (that I didn't write) sent arguments to itself.  It simply tacks on the end of the address its arguments.  I needed to tack my argument into that script.

simple example hope it helps

$titleLink = sprintf("<a href='?Sermon=%d'>%s</a>", $row['Id'], htmlspecialchars($row['Title']));

the script I did not write used this to create a page for a specific audio file.

Unfortunately that will simply pass through to the default page on my php.

so I changed my script to include a dummy page that shows every audio file in the database.

case "everything":
$sermonsWebPart = GetSermonsWebPart(array('DefaultSinceWeeks' => All));
@include ('sermonsbanner.php');
@include ('sermons.php');
break;

then I modified the line in the script i did not write to

$titleLink = sprintf("<a href='?cmd=everything&Sermon=%d'>%s</a>", $row['Id'], htmlspecialchars($row['Title']));

This then passes the argument through to the appropriate script.

And now I have a working script.

Thanks for that little tip.  Sometimes it just takes a couple words to make me rethink things.  Thanks a bunch!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.