cpqty  int(9) No  0 
cpdate  date No  0000-00-00 
cpquote  int(3) No  0 

Indexes: Keyname Type Cardinality Field
cpindex  INDEX None  cpindex 
cpid 
cpcid  INDEX None  cpcid 
cpid  INDEX None  cpid 

very simple data table, now the users have populated it with various amounts of data where the application will set the date to the current date (date data was enterred:Y-m-d format). So we have loads of data in the table where common items may have multiple entries on different days (we won't talk about multiple entries on the same day... users, egads!!). Ok, so far so good.

Now, what I need to do is look at this database and get all of the most recent entries, en mass. The criteria to get the recordset is:
cpid - product id
cpcid - customer id

i need all records with the most recent date by product group. What is the most efficient method of doing this?

(using the select max(cpdate), * from cptable where cpid= $val and cpcid = $cval does not work).

Thanks guys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.