relative referencing doesn't work when uploading files

stijn0713

Hello,

I tested my script locally on wamp and now i uploaded them to my hosting and it fails to open the database connection file

my files look like:

dir connect

file index.php --> uses require_once('/connect/db.php')

I uploaded the dirs and files the same way so it the relativity in paths should stay the same . I work on windows and hosting is linux, might it have to do with that?

Well, i figured it out by now:

i relatively referenced it like:

require_once('/connect/db.php') on wamp which worked.

require_once('connect/db.php') worked on hosting so WITHOUT slash in the front.  I think it has to do with linux but i'm not sure.

Anyway, i thought i add it, maybe for people facing the same stupid error.

Thanks for updating your post with the problem and the solution.

Reason it didn't work was because of the leading slash, as you had instructed the PHP parser to look at the root folder. IE "c:\" on Windows, or "/" on Linux. Why it worked while on Windows I don't know, as it shouldn't have. Guess there are some configuration differences between the two servers, which clouded the issue.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.