Some advice please...

Drongo_III

Hi Guys

I recently started a new job but as I'm a bit inexperienced I need a dose of confidence before I start suggesting large changes.

Primarily this is because the company I work for is HUGE and has multiple brands. But the sites are all 90% static with over 500 pages per site.

I've never really worked on a large static site before, which is the source of my apprehensiveness, so I'd welcome some advice on the following - really just to confirm or disprove what my initial feelings are:

1) My gut feeling is that a site of this size should be database/cms driven because it all relies on the developer to implement all changes and I can't see why it should be the case. It just causes everything to bottleneck. So would you agree that when a static site gets beyond a certain size a decent database driven system is the way to go?

2) The site is comprised of countless include files. But it's not that that's bothering me. It's the fact a page includes a head file, which includes two other files and they in turn include further files. This can lead to a six level path of includes in some instances. As I said, I've only ever worked on database driven sites that are template based so all includes are pretty much included in one go and this dizzying back trace of include files feels plain wrong. Am I just being too picky?

I kind of want to get off on the right foot and make sure that I don't perpetuate bad practices - which is kind of what the current setup feels like. But before I take over and step on anyone's toes I want to be sure I'm on firm ground and i'm not afraid to admit when i dont have the experience to make that call...

If the site wasn't hard to manage they probably wouldn't need you.

Once you are there a while you could suggest some changes or a redesign.

Most likely the site was made a long time ago, the internet changed a lot in even just a few years.

I wouldn't rock the boat too fast, but at the same time maybe they need to get pointed in the right direction.

I would at least voice your opinion while also letting them know you are willing to do it how they want you to.

Maybe if you tell them instead of just managing a site, you could always be improving it, might help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.