Simple command

johnsmith153

I have this:

if( preg_match('/[A-Z]/', $string) ) {

...but I want to exclude a set value so if the value THISVALUE is the only capitalised value then the if statement should return false. So, if THIS VALUE exists as well as other capitals, then it should return true, but fail if all are lower case (or if THIS VALUE is the only capitalised value).

I can't think how to do this.

(1) start with:

if( preg_match('/[A-Z]/', $string) ) {

(2) ...but I want to exclude a set value so if $string contains a set value (e.g "THISVALUE") as the only capitalised value, then the IF statement should return false (and not true as it would now).

(3) However, if it contains the set value (e.g. "THISVALUE") and also contains other capital letters, then it should return true.

Easiest would be to simply run an str_replace () on the string, before checking for capital letters.

You should also work a bit on your terminology, as your question is quite ambiguous and thus confusing. Is "this value" a string, just a character, or something else? You're testing for a single capitalized character, but using "this value" as if it was a string of multiple characters. Some actual and specific examples would be a lot better, as we can see exactly what you need.

Something like this?

// so if the value THISVALUE is the only capitalised value then the if statement should return false
// .. but fail if all are lower case (or if THIS VALUE is the only capitalised value).
$test = false;
if (preg_match_all('!([A-Z]+)!', $string, $matches)) {
    if (count(array_keys($matches[1], 'THISVALUE', true)) === 1 && count($matches[1]) > 1) {
        $test = true; // So, if THIS VALUE exists as well as other capitals, then it should return true
    }
}

if ($test) {
   // THISVALUE existed more than once
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.