Long query creates temp table in phpMyAdmin

johnsmith153

I executed a SELECT query in phpMyAdmin which took a long time (lots of records etc.)

In the 'processes' area it showed that it was 'creating a temporary table on disk'.

When that completed, nothing happened. Where would the temp table be and how can I see the results of the query?

I didn't want a temp table and my query was a simple SELECT with a few joins etc. (execution time being the only complexity).

A temp table is used internally by the database engine, it is not something you can query (unless of course you did a SELECT INTO TEMPORARY TABLE command). The results should have been displayed. It could be that the front-end timed out and did not get the results.

Try running an EXPLAIN on the query. Then post the query itself and the results of the EXPLAIN command. You may need to post your table structures as well.

There are several possible reasons for the problem, most likely:

1) you left out a JOIN and generated a Cartesian product; OR

2) you need to define indexes on fields that are being joined or used in conditionals;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.