Starting Browser Game Development. Need Information

DaniIvanov

I have a couple questions about those MMORPG like khanwars.com.

1. What programming languages do you need to create a web browser game like khanwars? Is PHP, MySQL and Javascript sufficient? Yes, of course it depends on what you want to achieve but take the khanwars.com example. What programming languages do you think they use?

2. How do you go about creating a clickable game map like this one http://www.browsergameslist.com/imgs/ikariam.jpg . or even like

http://i.ytimg.com/v...QoDO6NbV0/0.jpg

3. With WebGL can you create a map and overlay building and other icons on top of it using javascript or other languages.

4. Is there a book which explains all about creating browser based mmorpgs; generating the terrain, game dynamics, resource gathering, resource production, military actions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will answer my silly question.

I would also like to mention that i am willing to learn anything that is necessary and am willing to invest lots of time in understanding new concepts.

Edited by DaniIvanov

khanwars is an html/javascript(jquery etc) game that uses php on the backend. It's not clear whether they use mysql or not, but probably not a bad bet that they are using some open source database technology.

There are certainly many different options these days for browser based games, from plugins like flash, unity or java, to newer html5/javascript engines.

There are books on game development for nearly all these platforms, not to mention tutorials and howtos to get you started. You're best off deciding on your platform first, then drilling down into the specifics of developing a particular type of game.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.