Strange Problem Connecting To Mysql

tc2010

I am a bit befuddled here. From CLI, I tested connectivity to a "localhost" MySQL install via php script. It connects with no errors (script is below). I access the same script from a browser, and this error is returned:

Connection failure: 2002

Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

I am unclear why it would work from command-line, but not when called from a browser. Anyone have any advice on this?

I don't think it's a firewall issue, but I opened port 3306 nonetheless, and the result is the same. I also made sure the "apache" account has access to "/var/lib/mysql/", and can see "mysql.sock".

This is the code in my php test script:

<?php

$conn = new mysqli('localhost', 'account', 'password', 'test');

if(mysqli_connect_errno()) {

echo "Connection failure: " . mysqli_connect_errno() . "<br />Error: ".mysqli_connect_error();

exit();

}else{

echo "Success";

}

?>

Thank you.

Connection failure: 2002

Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

The (13) is the system error code for why exactly it cannot connect.  If you lookup that error using the perror utility you get:

kicken@linode:~$ /usr/local/mysql/bin/perror 13

OS error code  13:  Permission denied

As such, you need to check your permissions again.  The user your server is running as does not have the proper access rights to open that file.

Thanks for the reply, kicken.

The web server is an apache one, and runs under the "apache" uid. I assumed the role of "apache", and ran the script from command-line, and had a successful connection to MySQL. I double-checked to be sure that "apache" has access to "mysql.sock" (I navigated to /var/lib/mysql as "apache" user). mysql.sock is world read/write.

I'll try moving mysql.sock to tmp, and see if that helps.

Thank you for the assistance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.