Jquery Plugin, Worth To Create?

bunnyali2013

Ok, this is not a question where I am having issues, but seeking an advise from you on JQuery plugin development. We have to agree, there are many JQuery plugins in different categories such as image gallery, form validations, effects and so on. I was about to create a basic JQuery plugin with methods. I am new in JQuery plugin development, but I do have my required tutorials to create one and I did make one before when learning.

The question is:

Is it worth to create a JQuery plugin with methods, or simply create an open source script plugin, where a user can modify freely and embed it in their websites?

In other words, I do not see a huge difference, by creating a JQuery plugin with methods, with an open source JQuery or Javascript plugin without methods where you can customize freely. For example, there is TinyMCE, a rich text editor, it is a plugin in pure Javascript and does not propose methods for people to modify. If you want to modify to add/remove features, simply do it by coding as it is open source. TinyMCE just propose you a default functionality.

However, the only advantage a JQuery plugin with methods will have is to let people who have poor knowledge on web to configure their plugin easily while an open source script plugin like TinyMCE for instance, you need to code by yourself if you want to ameliorate.

What do you think?

Edited by bunnyali2013

TinyMCE has it's own plugin system so I'm not real sure where your going with that. Well designed libraries should be flexible enough to allow customizations without modifying the code in the library itself.

You also speak about open source code is though jQuery plugins are not/can not be open source. I think you'll find most jQuery plugins are indeed open source. Either way, I'm not sure what that has to do with it, that is a licensing issue.

One advantage to making your library a jQuery plugin is that it will help organise your code in a more consistant manner. Having said that however, if you know Javascript (and in particular OOP in Javascript) well enough you should be able to do this well enough yourself.

I guess a big question to ask is, does your code need jQuery? If your code doesn't depend on jQuery then I see now reason to tie it to jQuery just for the sake of it.

Ok, I think I have not written the subject correctly. I think instead of saying "plugin", I should say "script" only.

What I was saying is, instead of creating JQuery plugins etc..why not creating scripts, and then make people to use freely. If they find the script good and want to modify, they can do it freely. For example, a script in Javascript/JQuery, including CSS and HTML for a contact form with validations. To use the script, you just have to embed the CSS file and copy the HTML codes and to make it in action, just call the function of the script, that's all. Now, if you want to modify the default functionality, you can. You can add features/remove as well, customize designs etc...freely.

JQuery plugins are different. They provide methods so that people can add/remove features. JQuery plugins are good particularly for people who have poor programming knowledge. However, many JQuery pugis are lame, they provide methods which you may never use, or simply, lack of methods. Instead of doing this, why not creating free scripts, and let the people customize? It will be good!

Of course, I am not against plugins, but I think, scripts are good as well.

I agree partly with you...because many will modify the codes if they want additional functionality which the methods of the JQuery plugin do not provide. Recently, I made a rich text editor. I made it good, but it is just a script, where you will have to call the function in your website to work, and adding the HTML codes with CSS. It is not a JQuery plugin even it has been made in JQuery and raw Javascript. Now if you want to customize, simply modify it.All I did is to make it for you freely, with a default functionality. Here is a screenshot of it below:2dwg280.jpg

Edited by bunnyali2013

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.