What Formats Of A Software Requirements Specification (Srs) Have Worked For You?

yoursurrogategod

Sounds to me like the kind of document the BA and SA should be putting together. I would ask why, as the developer, you are being asked to specify what the business requirements of a product you're about to implement are. You should be given a specification.

Sounds to me like the kind of document the BA and SA should be putting together. I would ask why, as the developer, you are being asked to specify what the business requirements of a product you're about to implement are. You should be given a specification.

This is why I'm updating my resume and sending it out :) . Basically, we have no documentation for our "applications" (most of them are held together with duct-tape and elmers glue, sometimes if we get fancy, we'll use an actual steel nail!), we don't have a development process and upper-management has recently decreed that "we're not a software development shop" (I found this after I've been working here for 6+ months, my jaw never was never more agape as that moment). Now, middle-management has decreed that we need a spec now. I have experience writing specifications for state-based (desktop apps) programs, but was wondering whether there is any difference between that and web-development.

By the way, what are BA and SA? Also, do you know of organizations that have such processes that you speak about? That, honestly, I find to be interesting.

Sorry, BA is Business Analyst and SA is Solutions Architect. Between the two, and perhaps more, they should provide all the business, functional and technical requirements of the product. Obviously not every company has those roles, or even a need for them, but what you've been asked to do sounds a lot like someone else's job. What information, requirements, etc. were you given?

Oh an yeah. The company I work for has 4 scrums. In each scrum there's a product owner, BA, SA, scrum master, designer, devOps engineer, test engineer, and then about five developers. Means everyone can concentrate on what they get paid for.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.