404 Error Has Me Stumped

crmamx

I am trying to link to a file in the directory Videos.

This code works. It opens the pdf file in a new window.

http://southalabamarc.com/Videos/sarcm_app.pdf

With this code I get a 404 file not found error:

http://southalabamarc.com/Videos/video_f86.html

After beating my brains out I called the host and he said the problem was the permissions on Videos was 744 and should be 755. I could not change it in cPanel File Manager so he changed it to 755.

I still get the same error.

Pikachu:

If you remember this is the exact code we developed over a year ago. Everything else works perfectly except I can't get my videos to play. I am testing by keying in the URL in the address bar. I assure you the video_f86.html file is there. Also when I double click on video_f86.html in my Windows Directory it works. But if I key it in the address bar it 404's me.

Xaotique:

I am keying these two URL's directly into the address bar. I am not an expert so I don't know what you mean by misconfiguring the configuration file.

Keep trying guys because I have run out of ideas.

Edited by crmamx

The server config files. I don't know how else to tell you what they are. I also don't use Windows, so you'll have to Google its location.

Also, show hidden files and make sure an .htaccess file doesn't exist in the directory or its parent. If it does, try changing the filename to htaccess.txt (don't delete it) and see if it works. Your site may be set up to use it, and its also there for permissions and whatnot, but it may be blocking you from accessing the file in that directory.

I hate to do this but the only honorable thing to do is to admit I am just stupid. As many times as I have checked over 3 days I have been making a keypunch error and then reading it wrong. Back to typing school.

Thanks so much for your efforts.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.