Traffic Logging

drewdan

Hello everyone, Merry Christmas!

I am trying to make a system that allows me to track users of the website and create statistics similar to those found in Google Analytics.

My question is what kind of data should I be collecting? I am currently collecting IP address, time, the name of the accessed page, the referer and the browser type. Any thoughts of any other data I should collect?

Thanks guys!

I have had a look at the data. It seems to mainly be page views, unique page views, repeat visitors. Which could be calculated by just collecting the IP address and Time and working that out.

GA also seems to be able to work out which country the user is from. I was wondering if that was using the IP to work this out, or if it was data passed from the browser?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the information. I am currently building a CMS which will be perfect for businesses and rather affordable. It will be licensed software instead of sold which will mean people wont ever see the code behind it. I am trying to make it self sufficent so it does not require other services like GA, it also has a module library which allows users to search through a library of addon features, (image gallery, newsletter subscriptions etc) and then install them with just one click. I am trying to avoid open source (although it does use some now, but that will be replaced soon) so I am building these things from scratch. It will mean businsses can manage their website instead of having to pay a programmer to do it, which most small businesses are afraid of, or cannot afford to do.

It is supposed to make Joomla and other such open source solutions look like an amateur attempt, but it is years away from that for the moment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.