Return Results From A Mysql Database Dependent On Town Entered

ianhaney

Hi

I am bit stuck, I want to return results from a mysql database when a user enters their town or postcode in for example below

they enter in their town or post code and a list of area managers is displayed closest to their town or postcode along with their contact number

Is that possible

Thank you

Ian

Hi Muddy_Funster thank you for the reply

I think it will be more the PHP that has me stuck as entering the data should be fairly easy to do, am I right in doing something like the following in the mysql database

name

contactnumber

the page I want to display the results will look like the following

Area Manager: name or manager

Contact Number: contact phone number

Yes sorry, my idea is based purely on postal areas, if wont give you the closest person to you, it will just provide results in that postal area, in a sense imitating the functionality of closest too. The problem is, if there is no one in that postal area it will return nothing instead of searching the next postal area.

You would need to provide further information, co-ordinates and the lark and a way of searching co-ordinates within a radius of 10 miles etc. Sounds like a big job!

You basically want to use the function the developer is showing you called:

calc_postcode_seperation($pcodeA,$pcodeB)

You will then need to compare the postcode the user entered with all of your entries in your database, using a loop, then use an if statement to see if they are located less than 10km or whatever from the postcode entered by your user andif they are, add the details to an array and then output the data collected in the array onto your page at the end.

The developer provides you with an sql file with all of the postcode details. I am assuming you are located in the UK?

I have got the 0 displaying now

How do I get results to display what the users chooses for example I have a input text field and typed a town in but is still displaying all the records from the database

The coding I have is below

<html>  
<head><title>Page Results</title></head>  
<body>  
<?php  
$database="";  
mysql_connect ("", "", "");  
@mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");  
$result = mysql_query( "SELECT * FROM managers" )  
or die("SELECT Error: ".mysql_error());  
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);  
print "There are $num_rows records.<P>";  
print "<table width=400 border=1>\n";  
while ($get_info = mysql_fetch_row($result)){  
print "<tr>\n";  
foreach ($get_info as $field)  
print "\t<td><font face=arial size=1/>$field</font></td>\n";  
print "</tr>\n";  
}  
print "</table>\n";  
?>
<form action="viewall.php">
Town
<input type="text">
<input type="submit" name="send" value="Search">
</form>
</body>  
</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.