Limit access by country

lbh2011

Does anyone have a preferred or recommended method of restricting access to a website depending on which country the visitor originates from?

I would like to prevent users from accessing (or registering to access) the website from anywhere outside of the United Kingdom.

I am aware of various .htaccess and php methods but am also aware that .htaccess methods for example can prevent Google from indexing the site correctly.

The closest you can get is by using a GeoIP service, and then try to filter away known proxies.

This will allow you to add Google's IP-addresses to a white list, so that it can index your site. Though, the wisdom of doing that while blocking others I'm not too sure of. SEO experts will have to chime in on that one.

Also: Please don't mess with the font sizes for your post, makes them harder to read. Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.