Microsoft Access databases

PeggyBuckham

I am unfamiliar with Microsoft Access databases. I am redoing a site for a customer. The old site was written in .asp and on a Microsoft Access databases database. I was given ftp access to the old site and it appears that the database is in a folder on a file with a .mdb extension.

I am used to MySQL databases that I can look at the contents of the database in a browser. Can you please tell me is that not possible with a Microsoft Access database. If I want the content of the database so that I can use it to repopulate the new database. Should I just ask for a spreadsheet of the database or is there another way.

I am used to MySQL databases that I can look at the contents of the database in a browser.

That isn't a feature of MySql, it's just that people have developed these interfaces to it.

Access has it's own interface if you have some version of office installed. Have you googled though? There are asp based web interfaces available for these things. Hell you might even find a php one.

It seems like alot of work to go through just to get the data out of a database

If you want the data out of the database you can access it via php. If you* (the developer) can't get to the data, how do you expect your client* to get a spreadsheet?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.