Using PHP functions to filter input, is this okay to do?

sourcy

public function checkUser($username, $email, $emailConfirm)
{
   if (!$this->_dataCheck->checkEmail($email, $emailConfirm))
   {
       return "Emails do not match, or the email is invalid";
   }
   if (!ctype_alnum($username))
   {
       return "Username must only contain numbers and letters";
   }

$this->_db->query("SELECT username, email FROM users WHERE username='$username' OR email='$email'");

if ($this->_db->numRows() != 0)
   {
       return "Username or email is already in use, please try again";
   }
   return "success"; //this is where i will add them to the table "users" if they do not already exist and passed all my other checks
}

And here is my check email function

public function checkEmail($email1, $email2)
{
   if ($email1 == $email2 && filter_var($email1, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL))
   {
       return TRUE;
   }
   else
   {
       return FALSE;
   }
}

Basically my question is simple, is there any risk to checking for the input to be alpha numeric and a valid email using PHP's built in functions? so as to avoid sql injections and XSS? Never done it like this before, but I'm re-coding a site from scratch and I feel like this would work better.

Anyone see any problems?

Edited by sourcy

There's nothing wrong with using the PHP filter functions like you have. In fact, that's how you're meant to use them, and what they were made for: Input validation.

However, they do not (specifically) protect against SQL injections or HTML injection (XSS etc) attacks. Input validation is not a substitute for proper output escaping, nor is the opposite true. They both should be used, as they work in conjunction with each other.

Add $db->real_escape_string () around those variables, when you insert them into the query, and htmlspecialchars () around all of the (user-generated) content you echo out. With that and the above input validation you'll be good. ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.