OOP global variables

Manixat
Go to solution Solved by Hall of Famer,

Hello freaks,

I am having quite a difficult time working out how to use an instance of a certain class in all instances of all objects.

Example:

this is my main file ( index etc. ),

<?php

$a = new User();

$b = new HeaderBuilder($_SESSION['userid']);

?>

HeaderBuilder:

<?php

class HeaderBuilder{

function __construct($id){
    echo $a->getUserById($id);
    }

}

Now my question is how do I use $a in HeaderBuilder's __construct without creating a new instance ?

Edited by Manixat

This is logical but I just want it to be a single variable. Doing that to all my methods where I need user() is going to be a pain in the you know what. I tried with $_GLOBALS and it worked but it is just so long and annoying to type every time. Why can't I just simply assign a global variable in the main file O.o

Edited by Manixat

I have heard that using global variables in OOP is bad, but I just don't see the logic in creating a hundred instances of a class in a single page build when you can ( or I hope I can ) use a global one :/

Edited by Manixat

When you pass a class to another class, you pass the reference to the original instance you don't create a new object.

$u = new User('ignace');

$a = new Foo($u);
$b = new Foo($u);
$c = new Foo($u);
$d = new Foo($u);

$u->setName('Manixat');
$c->printUserName(); // Manixat
$d->printUserName(); // Manixat
This is different from your normal procedural thinking. No matter how you turn it though if your class has a dependency on another class you'll still have to type it. Show us an example of what you mean by that you have to pass/create an instance in other classes. Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.