Where to start to make a very basic page maker/editor?

MrTIMarshall

Hello,

I would like to start from scratch, or the basic level, to be able to improve upon and whatnot for a page builder/editor. I am just presuming that the language needed is PHP to be able to edit and create new pages as it is server-side programming which is needed, yet again another presumption as I am not familiar with PHP.

This builder doesn't yet need to work, but I want to make sure I program it in a way which it can build/edit a page. The editor will be made at a later date, of which I would like to know if I would need to submit information to a database via the page builder to be able to edit at a later date. For the time being, I would simply like to know how to make a page builder of which a live preview is available in a preview area.

The page will have a side menu, JQuery Accordion style, of which will change the content to the left and when you change the content of anything the live preview updates. If this part does not need PHP, please let me know and I'll find somewhere else to post this thread and will come back at a later date to find out the PHP information I need.

Thank you for your help,

Best Regards,

Tim

Well, if you wish to write and then store something, you have various options to store those strings. An option is to store those strings in a database table, obviously. Having it live means you will need Ajax (which is JS with PHP). Another option is storing as (encrypted?) files, though I never did that before.

Thank you DaveyK.

I don't suppose you know of any examples I could build up on or if you could provide a very basic one yourself and is it possible to show an image without actually uploading it to the site until they decide to submit the page details beforehand, show the image via their local on the page for them or if not store the image on my server into a temporary location which deletes  if they cancel or exit the page so I don't end up with loads of random images which aren't needed?

Best Regards,

Tim

When you upload an image with PHP, its automatically stored to a temp location. You can access that location (I think), and it will remain there untill either moved or deleted. I dont know how often that folder gets emptied.

The temp folder is suppose to empty when the program finishes, or in the case of PHP, when the script ends.  So if you don't move it, before the script ends, the file stored in the temp directory is lost.

You could move it to an image location, then if their account is flagged inactive for a specific amount of time, you could unlink the image.

You are trying to rebuild the wheel. There are already numerous CMS out there that do these things from a very basic level, to a very complex level. These CMS are generally built by teams of people, and will be more complete than anything you would ever be able to build yourself. Spend the time to learn how to use a few of those, rather than trying to build something on your own.

You are trying to rebuild the wheel. There are already numerous CMS out there that do these things from a very basic level, to a very complex level. These CMS are generally built by teams of people, and will be more complete than anything you would ever be able to build yourself. Spend the time to learn how to use a few of those, rather than trying to build something on your own.

I strongly disagree with you haku and think you should not underestimate what someone has the ability of achieving. There may well be a billion CMS systems out there already, however I would like to create my own basic one and build it up from there. You could say that I would like to make a Facebook profile editor with a live preview, of which should not be difficult at all as you do not need much information to do so.

On my searches, I cannot find anything on the basic level, all with features I do not wish to even have. All I need is, basing what you can do on Facebook;

• Upload images to use, be able to delete them and set maximum width/height for certain images for different sections.
  • Add information for sections
  • Upload other files such as videos

I am not building anything for Facebook, I am just using it as an example as it is widely used and therefore known about and you should be able to understand what I wish to accomplish.

More features will come at a later date, but for the time being, this is all I wish to have to work upon.

Best Regards,

Tim

The thing with programming is, in general, looking for specific tutorials like that will get you nowhere. Why? Because you'll read the tutorial, build whatever it is you where building then forget the entire process. Next time you need to do something similar you will go on a hunt for another tutorial and so the circle continues.

A better option is to simply think about your actual problem in little pieces. Break it down and impliment each little piece youself. This way, you will actually learn to think like a programmer.

So, with all that in mind. Do you have a specific issue you are trying to resolve?

The thing with programming is, in general, looking for specific tutorials like that will get you nowhere. Why? Because you'll read the tutorial, build whatever it is you where building then forget the entire process. Next time you need to do something similar you will go on a hunt for another tutorial and so the circle continues.

A better option is to simply think about your actual problem in little pieces. Break it down and impliment each little piece youself. This way, you will actually learn to think like a programmer.

So, with all that in mind. Do you have a specific issue you are trying to resolve?

Okay, well I have the concept on how to do things, and I think I know how to program certain aspects to provide a live demonstration, therefore a specific question would be; How can I, with the aid of any other programming language, allow the user to either drop files onto the page or via browsing into a temporary location on my own server space and show these in the #LivePreview section?

Best Regards,

Tim

Okay, well I have the concept on how to do things, and I think I know how to program certain aspects to provide a live demonstration, therefore a specific question would be; How can I, with the aid of any other programming language, allow the user to either drop files onto the page or via browsing into a temporary location on my own server space and show these in the #LivePreview section?

Best Regards,

Tim

As trq said, you should focus on little pieces. What you describe is still a process. If you leave out the live part for now and just focus on the upload, that would be a good start. Because what is the actual difference? If you have the upload working and you are capable of displaying the images on page load, you can do the same for any ajax call when the time is fit (because its the same script, just called asynchronously).

"How can I, with the aid of any other programming language, allow the user to upload an image file"?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.