Transfering online mySQL database to offline laptop

babytarantula

Hi Guys,

I was not sure where to post this question. I am currently using a database for a dating website involving data on members and also about 10 pictures by member. So a programmer created me a database that i access via internet. Currently the database have around 3000 members so my current hosting provider is telling me i have too much files in my account and should erase some of it.

I don't want to erase old accounts and was thinking if there was any way i could transfer some data (accounts older than 2 years) and put in on my laptop and use it offline.

So my questions is simple. Is there a way to take a website php mysql database and copy everything in it on an offline computer so i can free some space? I know i can simply copy all ftp files to my computer but i would like to still use the functions on the database like search engine, erasing members etc etc...

Thanks for your help

I saw some other forum answers telling people to use softwares like wampserver or xampp that are normally used to debug but i guess that would be a good way to install my online database on an offline machine? What do you think? It might not be logical but i think it will cost me less to find a way to download my database to an offline computer than to pay for a bigger hosting solution.

A database is a completely separate thing to a web application. You sound like your confusing them as the same thing.

You have a web application that interfaces to a database. If you want to run that application locally you will need a web server, a database server, the code for the web application, and the data from the database.

xampp and the like provide a simple one click install and configure of the web server and database server components.

Keep in mind though that once you are running this application locally users won't be able to access it. Nor will is be in any way integrated with the solution you already have online.

It really sounds to me like your going to need a developer to handle this. While you may be able to find some basic instruction and guidance online, you really need someone to actually look at the actual problem and find the best solution.

What you are trying to do definitely does not sound ideal.

Thanks for your answer. I think i did not use the right words. To make it clearer let's say i am closing my dating website and want to stop my online host subscription so instead of erasing all my 3000 members data ,i would like to transfer all that data on a laptop. The hard part is that i would still want to be able to access my front end panel to access my data. For example i had an online search engine that was able to find all members aged 18 to 25 and i would like to still be able to use that front end panel but by recreating the php/mySQL database on an offline laptop. Could you give me some hints on how i could manage to do that?

I know i need to ask a developer and that's why i come here before  so i can find the proper developper based on your answers :)  Sorry of i look like a beginner and thanks for your help.

Do you have access to the code of your "front end panel"?

Again: If you want to run that application locally you will need a web server, a database server, the code for the web application, and the data from the database.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.