phpMyAdmin installation - Help!!!

SusieWoosey

OK I give up, what did I do wrong? I got Apache working, I got php working, now I can edit .php files locally. Works a treat.

I've installed mySQL and it seems to work,  but there is noway I can work it from the command line interface. Hence my attempts at installing phpMyAdmin.

I have failed miserably, all I get when I open index.php in my browser is - phpMyAdmin - Error  - Cannot load msql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation.

I presume that is how phpmyadmin is started?? Or do I use main.php?

I have looked at the documentation till I am blue in the face.

Help - what have I missed or done wrong. I am very confused as to where the phpmyadmin installlation should go.

Suzanne (UK) :(

Thanks wildteen, yet again you score gold.

Well at least I am now into phpmyadmin, but I get this error when I first get in - The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results.

I expect it's something I haven't set up properly in config?

The char set appears to be set at - UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) - what would be best?

Best wishes,

Suzanne

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.