Arrays simply refuse to work

Arkazex

Hi,

I've tried many times, but I have been unsucsessful in determining why this code won't work.  I've tried everything, but still no luck.

$users = array(
  "dog" => "asdfghjkl",
  "cat" => "qwertyuiop",
);

but I still get this error every single time:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ')', expecting ']' in /www/zxq.net/a/r/k/arkazex/htdocs/UserLogin/Login/Login.php on line 10

and If I try to change the ");" on the last line to "];" the error switches saying that's wrong as well.  I've been stuck for quite a while, and any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Arkazex.

You shouldn't have a comma after the last array item, however that would not cause the error you are getting. Your error most likely comes from some other bit of code above that section, you need to post more of the code, or look higher.

Just because PHP says an error is on line XX does not mean that is where the error actually is. That is just how far PHP managed to get before the code stopped making sense. Some problems such as forgetting quotes or brackets can result in an error not being reported until much later in the code than where your problem actually is.

The only code above that is

<?php

EDIT: I noticed that If I comment out the entire rest of my page, the error goes away, but adding anything beneath it will cause the error to return....

Edited by Arkazex

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.