Best CMS for a big retail/wholesale site + blog

Grandioso

We're currently looking to create a new website for a client who's a major retailer/reseller.

They basically want 3 websites: 

- a retail site, selling directly to customers

- a wholesale site, selling to other businesses

- a consumer blog

They already have a stock control and order management system in place.

We're looking for the best solution we can come up with and I thought you guys could give me some ideas.

My idea was, since they already have stock control and order management systems, to use a massive Wordpress multisite for all 3 websites, make a plug-in to handle the communication between the site and the SCS. 

We would also like to implement some features like 'popular items', 'recently viewed', 'sales reports; etc, which WP is not really good for.

Any ideas ?

I would suggest that the best CMS to go with is likely the one you know best. Any CMS is quite capable of the functionality providing they are being setup by a developer in the know.

Personally, I would be more inclined to go down the bespoke path, maybe starting with a CMS framework such as Symfony2 CMF. I guess it depends on your time frame and budget though.

I was Googling for a couple of hours and the best solution I could come up with was to either use Drupal, or WP and build the site around them.

E-commerce solutions, such as Magento only make sense when they handle the stocks, am I right ?

This client already has a stock control in place and they also want to use shopatron, which I understand works as a shopping cart / order manager (?). 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.