Add nice option to 'exec' command in php

abdul202

hello,

i have a php script that use alot of cpu i have asked here before about away to limit the cpu usage for a spacific user

here it's the thread url

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/277008-how-to-limit-the-cpu-usage-for-a-script/

as trq pointed me for using the NICE http://linux.die.net/man/1/nice to set priorties

my question is .... is that possible to  Add nice option to 'exec' command???

i have a command like that

exec ('' . $php_path . ' -c ' . $config_ini . ' mirrors/rapidshare.php ' . $file_uid . ' ' . $status . ' >/dev/null &');

if it's possible.. how can i do that?

best regards

Yes, you can add a nice option to exec command, but why are you using php to do this?

Anyway, before do this make sure what permissions has apache to the nice folder.

Then create a string like:

<?php  

$nice = 'which nice'; // find where is a nice command in your system 

$str = "$php_path . ' -c ' . $config_ini . ' mirrors/rapidshare.php ' . $file_uid . ' ' . $status.';'";

$str .="$nice n 5 u $user"; 

exec($str); 

// or with a shell_exec() 

shell_exec($str);

Yes, you can add a nice option to exec command, but why are you using php to do this?

Anyway, before do this make sure what permissions has apache to the nice folder.

Then create a string like:

<?php  

$nice = 'which nice'; // find where is a nice command in your system 

$str = "$php_path . ' -c ' . $config_ini . ' mirrors/rapidshare.php ' . $file_uid . ' ' . $status.';'";

$str .="$nice n 5 u $user"; 

exec($str); 

// or with a shell_exec() 

shell_exec($str);

thank you for your help ,

i'm using php to do that because it's a php script used to convert videos using ffmped extension

anyway your code it looks good but i don't understand the $user refer to what maybe you mean the website user or you mean something else

and also you need to replace the single quote 

$nice = 'which nice';

to

$nice = "which nice";

i didn't haven't tested that code yet but i'll update you when i do

best regards

$nice = 'which nice';
to

$nice = "which nice";
i didn't haven't tested that code yet but i'll update you when i do

best regards

Actually, it's common practice to use single quotes if you're not putting any 'code' into them. (EG. $string = 'world'; echo "hello {$string}, how are you?"; echo "hello $string, how are you?";)

A bit off-topic but I wanted to point that out. :)

Edited by Joshua F

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.