PhP -> Echo Question

Massacres

I just started learning PhP (about half an hour in). Just messing around and making notes. I'm using strpos() to find where a string is in a string. It returns the value of its location, and if it isn't located in it would return no value.

You can use it in an if statement as a boolean variable, so I was wondering if I could get it to print out a true/false text output with echo instead of "0, 1, 2, ect.."

I also was wondering how I could do a line break in PhP (<br> in html). I made a guess here. C++/C/Turing uses \n to break a line in a string of characters, so I was wondering if there was something similar in PhP?
[code]
<?php echo strpos('Hello','lo');
break;
echo 'test' ?>[/code]
Note: The 'test' is just to check if its on the next line.

when you do like this:
echo strpos('Hello','lo');

you print the offset where in the word "hello" - "lo" was found, in this case nr 3.

to make it print out true or false, you need to make an if-statement, ex:

[code=php:0]if (strpos('Hello','lo')) {

echo "True";

} else {

echo "False";

}[/code]

yes, to make a linebreak you write \n surrounded by " and ", ' and ' wont work.

In addition to how Nicklas has to print a true/false return you could use this:

[code]if (strpos('Hello', 'lo') === TRUE) {
  echo 'True';
} else {
  echo 'False';
}[/code]

The way that Nicklas has the if statement, if it returns Zero (as in the string was found at position zero) it would not evaluate to true.  This is because PHP will intrepret 0 and FALSE the same, unless you use the === and !== operators to force it to compare value and type.

[Afterthought]I was pondering how do do it without an if, and I came up with this;

[code]<?php
$TF=array("False","True");
echo $TF [($Word1===$Word2)];
?>
[/code]

Its kind of basic (programming wise) but I thought someone might be interested.

EDIT:
It stores False and True in spot 0 and 1 of the array. So when you get (0 or 1) with a boolean comparison, you can get the text version of it ^_^

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.