ZipArchive () problem with special characters in filenames

gdfhghjdfghgfhf

I use ZipArchive(); to list the file names inside a Zip archive (uploaded on FTP by different users, not created by server).

Problem is that some of the file names contain french caracters (accents like é à ô â à è) that are not displayed proprely. Instead i get a "�" symbol.

The page is encoded in utf8 and the rest of the script doesnt have any problem with accents

i tried running htmlentities() or utf8_encode() on $toune but it didnt help...

here's my code:

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
$downloadlink = "pp/86 Crew - 2000 - Bad Bad Reggae.zip";
$za = new ZipArchive();
$za->open($downloadlink);
for( $i = 0; $i < $za->numFiles; $i++ ){
$stat = $za->statIndex( $i );
$tounes = array( basename( $stat['name'] ) . PHP_EOL );
foreach($tounes as $toune) {
echo $toune;
}
}

This is an interesting question. Apparently, from a quick google, there may not be a clear solution since the codepage of the character set used isn't stored in the zip file, unless the sources I referenced are incorrect.

One obvious issue to start with is that the base name() function is "locale aware" so you would want to setlocale appropriately. I would suggest starting with that issue.

If you're running it only to show the contents of the zip file, why not make a temporary copy of the zip file with a different file name, you know, with normal alpha-numeric characters, and use that in ZipArchive() and auto-delete it once the contents are shown?

If you're running it only to show the contents of the zip file, why not make a temporary copy of the zip file with a different file name, you know, with normal alpha-numeric characters, and use that in ZipArchive() and auto-delete it once the contents are shown?

problem is with the filenames inside the archive, not the filename of the archive.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow....I saw your urgent post onto the php freelancing section.

That one could be very simple with 2-3 lines of code, no more.

Just run a unzip linux command through bash with shell_exec in php and display the results on the page.

That's all.

PS: what happened here?  -> http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/280579-regexiterator-recursive-iterator-cant-search-file-with-accents/

Edited by jazzman1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.