Correct setup of Apache, etc/hosts and DNS on Ubuntu server

UbuntuJon

Hi

Just wanted some advice on the above. I'm trying to configure a cloud server (Ubuntu), and had a couple of questions.

1) My etc/hosts file, apache vhost and DNS all contain my domain name as domain.tld (without the www). In my vhost I have server name as domain.tld, and two server aliases set as www.domain.tld and *.domain.tld - I can reach my site with the URL "domain.tld", but not with "www.domain.tld". Does this mean I need two DNS records setup, one for "domain.tld" and one for "www.domain.tld"? Surely not? I thought that was the point of ServerAlias?

2) Am I supposed to add my domain name to my server's etc/hosts file? Or is that something I don't need to be doing?

Thanks all

Jon

ServerAlias only means that apache will recognize that server name as also belonging to the given vhost. You still need a DNS entry so that clients can resolve that domain to the proper IP address. You can do this either with a separate A entry or a CNAME record.

Adding the domain to the hosts file is not strictly necessary so long as it exists in DNS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.