A not so new website idea...

mikhl

Hi guys,

I recently had a great idea (well I think it's a great idea) for a website which I have created basic designs for and started developing on my own.

I really thought this idea was going to be new. However, after more research, I have found that there is a strikingly similar website already out there.

Same basic idea and concept, though I am not developing a clone of the website. 

I was just wondering if there were any opinions on developing things that have already been done; though the website I am thinking of hasn't been done to death.

I was also worried about being accused of copying concept. I am bringing this up purely as I came across the website today and I was hoping for others opinions. 

I think I could do a great job with the website and I am enjoying the time I have put into it so far.

I know this post may seem a bit pointless and jumbled, I'm just looking for some thoughts.

Thanks,

Michael

There should be no reason not to develop a site that has similar content/features as another. Look at Facebook, which was similar to MySpace. But, in this litigious society there's no telling what that other site owner may do. You can sue anyone for anything. So, you might want to do a little research into what that other site does to see if there are any copyrights or patents on things you will want to do.

Thanks Psycho,

That's what I was thinking.

Just because someone made a chair doesn't mean that nobody else can make a chair, though I know some companies that would disagree *cough* and would patent anything *cough*

I am doing some research into the website now, Both to protect myself and as a way to better my website.

Where has the current website gone wrong and where can I improve, how can I make my website different? - A few questions I'm keeping in mind.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.