PHP Procedures?

mtr4

Hi all,

A totally random question out of left field for you all!!  I know that PHP uses functions, but does it use procedures?  I know that MySQL you can have stored procedures, but anything PHP related?

Many thanks in advance!!

Matt

I'm a teacher in the UK and one of our exam boards have said 

* know when the use of procedures or functions would make sense

* know how to write and use their own simple procedures and functions

The first part of it is easily understandable as there is the theory side of things for procedures, its writing a procedure in PHP which has me stumped

Matt

I'm a teacher in the UK and one of our exam boards have said 

* know when the use of procedures or functions would make sense

* know how to write and use their own simple procedures and functions

The first part of it is easily understandable as there is the theory side of things for procedures, its writing a procedure in PHP which has me stumped

Matt

In PHP there is function() which does what traditional functions do and what traditional procedures or sub-routines do.  The normal distinction is that functions take arguments and based on those return a value.  Sub-routines or procedures normally don't return a value but instead carry out an action like modifying a table or sending an email etc.  In PHP functions are used for both.  In VB or VBA there are functions that return a value and subs that perform an action.  In MySQL I believe this is roughly the same, stored procedure vs. stored function.

Edited by AbraCadaver

Personally, I'd take that as they have to write their code which interacts with the functions they've defined. As Abra said it's terminology across languages. 

I have a colleague who uses the language cobol and he calls function sub-routines or procedure.

I think it's only databases that make the distinction between procedures and functions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.