How do wysiwyg editors work?

MySQL_Narb

I'm allowing my users to use a very basic wysiwyg editor to make their posts a bit more fancy; however, I would assume that this gives them the ability to put raw HTML into their posts? So how would I limit the HTML to only what the editor supports (e.g: images, font color, bold, italics, and strike).

You can use regular expressions to filter user input.

For example, you have the submit button for the textarea which has a name of, say, "newpost".

You can just generally filter out HTML tags to only allow wysiwyg tags (BBCode, to be exact) with regular expressions. An example below.

$post = isset($_POST["newpost"])&&!empty($_POST["newpost"])?$_POST["newpost"]:"";
if($post) {
$post = preg_replace("#<(.*?)>#gm","");
# modify the string further now
}
You can also a predefined editor for this, such as the SCEditor (being used by a free forum host which I frequently use) or others.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.