Trying to use finfo() to get MIME type

limitbreaker

Hi,

Basically I'm trying to see if a file is a photo, video, or sound by detecting mime type through the finfo functions:

$finfo = finfo_open(FILEINFO_MIME_TYPE);
$mime = finfo_file($finfo, $file['tmp_name']);

Thing is, my following if statements aren't detecting the mime types properly (meaning EVERYTHING is considered a photo):

if ( $mime == ("image/jpeg" || "image/pjpeg" || "image/gif" || "image/png" || "image/x-png") ) 

elseif ( $mime == ("video/mp4" || "video/x-ms-wmv") ) 

elseif ( $mime == ("audio/mpeg" || "audio/x-wav" || "audio/x-ms-wma") ) 

else { header("Location:home.php"); } 

I'm guessing finfo is giving me problems, but I don't really know another way to distinguish these files. Is there possibly a different way I can get a little higher level of security (I know MIME types can be faked)?

*The statements do have properly functioning code in brakets {}, I just removed it for the sake of simplicity

--Thanks in advance

The || operator does not work like that. You have to use full conditions for each test:

if ($mime == 'image/jpeg' || $mime == 'image/pjpeg' || $mime == 'image/gif' ...)
An alternative is to use in_array with an array of possible mime types.

Alright, this distinguishes images from other media, but the only other filetype that makes it through this filter successfully is wav. Anything else just gives the upload successful message but nothing happens at all. This is the code in each if statement (only slight variations for each):

mysql_query("INSERT INTO updates (id,name,numb,music,folder) VALUES('$id', '$name', '$num', '${file['name']}', '$folder')");
move_uploaded_file($file["tmp_name"], "users/$id/$folder/${file["name"]}");

would something like $_FILES['file']['type'] work instead of this finfo()?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.