Just been handed old server to update

Badvoc27

Hi

First post, not sure if this is the right place to put this?

Due to fact that the guy that looked after our server has left and Iv written some code in VBA and VB.net, Iv been given this task..

The task is: we want to upgrade one of our servers, simple my manager says.

The current server is Windows NT, PHP3 and MYSQL3.23.47, and hasn’t been touch for the last decade and more, it holds a MYSQL database that is accessed via the company’s intranet SharePoint site (on another server) by way of an old site on the server running HTML/PHP3 and can be seen worldwide (employees only) and is used constantly every day, Basically it’s a PDF repository with different user permission.

My knowledge of PHP and SharePoint is very basic

I have recreated the MYSQL database (which is just tables with data no procedures) in wamp running version 5.6.12. so that not a problem, I can dump all the data into a new database if needed.

The web pages built on HTML/PHP3 are a different matter?

I don’t know enough about PHP to convert it to PHP5.

Can I have a server running windows server 2008 /MYSQL 5.6 and PHP3?  

This will only be used for this application, saving me having to rewrite the PHP files.

Thanks

Wow! PHP3 was released in 1998 and end of life towards the end of the year 2000!

Can I have a server running windows server 2008 /MYSQL 5.6 and PHP3?  

Yes, PHP and MySQL can run on Windows Server 2008. The only version available is PHP5 and onwards.

If you'e completely new to PHP you're better of getting your company to hire someone to do this conversion/upgrade for you.

Edited by Ch0cu3r

Depending on what exactly the scripts do, you may not *need* to convert them to PHP 5, but giving them a once over for any potential security issues may be a good idea.

Going from PHP 3 to PHP 5, some of your biggest potential problems would be

- register_globals no longer exists, and was commonly used back then. All your input variables will need converted to the new super global arrays which will mean going through each script, identifying the input variables, and converting them.

- The long arrays ($HTTP_*_VARS) are also no longer available. If the original developer wisely used them, you will need to convert them to the new super globals as well, but a simple find/replace would probably cover this (eg find HTTP_GET_VARS, replace with _GET).

- ereg* functions need to be converted to preg_* functions

- split/join functions need to be converted to either preg_split/explode and implode

The best way to handle trying to update scripts is to just take all the code, setup a new test server with your desired PHP/Mysql/Apache versions and a test site configured, jack up PHP's error_reporting to E_ALL and start browsing the test site. As you encounter PHP errors fix them. Once you fix all the PHP errors, do another pass or to ensuring that the site functions properly. When all seems well, put the new code live with the new software.

Edited by kicken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.