Help with very basic programming problem

zatox123

Hello everyone,

I am taking a php course and was given some practice problems to do but was not given any answers to check my work. I am VERY confused with what to do with Part 2 of this problem. For the first part I was supposed to code this bit of code which I all ready did. What I need help with is the second part...

Here is the code I made that I am supposed to modify 

<?php	
   $names=array('duck','chicken','turkey','axolotl');
   $prices=array(7,5,18,200);

print "<table>";
   for ($i=0; $i<=3; $i++)
   {
	$item=$names[$i];
	$cost=$prices[$i];
	print "<tr><td><input type='radio' name='purchase' value='$i'>
	$item </td><td> $cost</td></tr>";
   }
   print "</table>";
 ?>

The directions are "Modify my program listed above, to provide a correctly positioned caption row for the table with captions "Select", "Animal" and "Price" at the head of each column. I am really unsure of how to go about doing this. If anyone could help me out with some tips or just show me an answer so  I can see how you did it I would greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by zatox123

@mentalis: I don't think that is what the instructions are asking for. you're describing the solution for data to flow across a row then create a new row after n records. What I am reading is that each row is a complete record with each column representing a different piece of data for that record.

@zatox123, what I think you need to do is create what I refer to as a "header" row where each item in that row is a column header that describes the type of data in that column. For this you would use TH tags (e.g. "table header") instead of TD tags ("table data"). Additionally, the header should be created before the data - so it would be before the loop. Give it a try and get back to us with any problems/questions.

EDIT: looks like Ch0c3r went ahead and gave you the solution. I was wanting you to try and figure it out yourself.

Edited by Psycho

@mentalis: I don't think that is what the instructions are asking for. you're describing the solution for data to flow across a row then create a new row after n records. What I am reading is that each row is a complete record with each column representing a different piece of data for that record.

Oops, assumed! Zatox, try that next ;)

so would it end up looking like this? When i run the program it doesnt work lol so i think I messed something up. 

<?php

print "<table>
    <tr>
           <th>Select</th>
           <th>Animal</th>
           <th>Price</th>
       </tr>”;
       for ($i=0; $i<=3; $i++)
	{
		</td><td>
                $item=$names[$i];
		$cost=$prices[$i];
		$item </td><td> $cost</td></tr>";
	}
	print "</table>";
?>

Edited by zatox123

Not quite you appear be using smart quotes here

</tr>”;

The ” should be a "

You placed the  </td><td> in the wrong place it needs to go before    $item </td><td> $cost</td></tr>";

Your code should be

<?php

print "<table>
    <tr>
        <th>Select</th>
        <th>Animal</th>
        <th>Price</th>
    </tr>";
    for ($i=0; $i<=3; $i++)
    {
        $item=$names[$i];
        $cost=$prices[$i];
        </td><td>$item </td><td> $cost</td></tr>";
    }
    print "</table>";
?>
Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.