URL dictates Name

krenzelman

Working in WordPress. I want to make it so that when a user puts a url into a field that it automatically links and displays the name of the page it is linking to not the url itself.  How would I go about making that work or is it even possible? 

Here's the code I'm working from..

<?php if($item_website): ?>
                        <tr class="detail">
                            <td class="detail-label"><?php echo __('Website','company'); ?></td>
                            <td class="detail"><a href="<?php echo $item_website; ?>" class="text-green"><?php echo $item_website; ?></td>
                        </tr>
                        <?php endif; ?>

how automatic? if you want it immediately after entering it into the box, it will require javascript and be much more complicated. if you want it after the submit button, then it just needs php and you can use php's curl function to accomplish what you want. the piece of code you show needs the info already, where is the address entered by a user, and where is the code that that form uses for an action?

how automatic? if you want it immediately after entering it into the box, it will require javascript and be much more complicated. if you want it after the submit button, then it just needs php and you can use php's curl function to accomplish what you want. the piece of code you show needs the info already, where is the address entered by a user, and where is the code that that form uses for an action?

I just want it to appear after hitting the submit button. The address is entered in a form at the bottom of the Wordpress page editor, as seen below.. I didn't build the theme.. I'm just trying to customize it with very little knowledge, so I apologize if I sound like an idiot.  I think this is the code that it draws from: 

array(
            'name' => __('Website', 'company'),
            'id' => $prefix . 'item_website',
            'type' => 'text',
            'desc' => __('', 'companyl')
        ),

Photo of WP Form
10988498565_95649d6ef5.jpg

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.