Does session stacks?

KaiSheng
Go to solution Solved by .josh,

Hi all, while doing on 2 projects, i came across this issue.

It is a localhost project.

I have logged into the site of my first project as a member.

The second project also auto logs in too at the same time.

It's both on the same internet in tabs.

Anyone can explain how did this happen?

Is it only applicable to localhost or what?

My projects are both different database.

----

For example,

if i log in to facebook, my twitter doesn't logs in as well.

If i log out of facebook, my twitter doesn't log out too.

Hope someone understands what i'm saying.

The cookies used to track sessions are based on the hostname of the site. if both of your projects are using localhost but just with separate folders, then they will share cookies. You could mitigate this by setting the path for the cookies to the path of your project, but a better solution is to use different hostnames for your projects. Setup two separate virtual hosts in apache under different names and edit your systems hosts file to point those names to 127.0.0.1

• Solution

A php session has nothing to do with the database, unless you specifically write php script to store session variables and/or id. The session will apply to any browser tab that has the same domain. In your situation, "localhost" is the domain. But the same would hold true if both your projects were on the same www.mysite.com. But this is as far as sharing the same session id and shared access to session variables. The 2ndary reason you wind up being logged in to both your projects, is because both your projects must share the same login logic and variable naming conventions. For example, even with a shared session id, if projectA looked for $isLoggedIn and projectB looked for $loggedIn, well those are separate vars. So you must be using the same code for both projects (which isn't uncommon).

If you want to restrict your projects to certain subdomain(s) and/or path(s), you can use session_set_cookie_params or add extra logic to your login status to check for a specific namespaced var or value that is unique to each project.

Also, same principle.. logging in/out of facebook doesn't log you in/out of twitter because they are on different domains. Even if they happen to share the exact same login code (which is extremely unlikely), they are still on different domains.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.