Could not open stream from different folder

thientanchuong

Hi guys, I am studying on how to code php n mysql by Model Control View concept

First of all, I created some files and some folder containers as the picture below

11200842655_62eee88d5d_b.jpg

My main point to add category data into my database so I have

• database.php in model folder
  • categoryController.php in controller folder
  • addCategory.php

in categoryController.php, I got first problem to open a stream to where I stated in code

11200938716_7a416d5851_b.jpg

then I even remove triple dots in line 4 but It does not work.

Could any one help me out with the solution please ?

Kind Regards

Sorry, I do not know why it does not load the two photos in previous post and there is no edit function so people can see my photos of coding problem overhere

Hi guys, I am studying on how to code php n mysql by Model Control View concept

First of all, I created some files and some folder containers as the picture below

11201349075_49b2b2612e_o.png

My main point to add category data into my database so I have

• database.php in model folder
  • categoryController.php in controller folder
  • addCategory.php

in categoryController.php, I got first problem to open a stream to where I stated in code

11201475653_af46498ece_o.png

then I even remove triple dots in line 4 but It does not work.

Could any one help me out with the solution please ?

Kind Regards

Edited by thientanchuong

include('.../models/database.php'); should only be TWO DOTS not THREE. But that's not going to fix it.

When using relative paths for include (the ../) it is relative to the SCRIPT THAT IS RUNNING not the file doing the include. If the running script is admin/addNewCategory.php then the include would be include('models/database.php').

Of course using relative paths can be troublesome. Once you fix it as above, if you later try to include the controller from, oh say "admin/secret/hideFromUser.php", then the relative path would need to be include('../models/database.php'); which would then cause the other script to fail.

I usually define an set of constants in my bootstrap (or other common include file) that has absolute references and then use the constant for all includes:

bootstrap.php

define('C_PHP_INCLUDE_DIR', '/path/to/include/base/');
all php scripts

include('./bootstrap.php');

include(C_PHP_INCLUDE_DIR . 'models/database.php');
Then I put a link (not a copy) to the bootstrap file in all execution directories. This way, I can maintain the absolute paths in a single file and all code uses the same path.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.