Simple SQL query help

Mindez

Hey.

I'm having trouble with my SQL.  Which is probably going to be something very simple that I'm getting wrong.  But here goes.

A friend of mine made some SQL include files for me, about 2 years ago.  And now, when I come to use them, it doesn't seem to work.  I've since lost touch with that friend, and I can't get it to work any more.

The include file contains:

[code] function SQL_GET($table, $section, $id, $idtable)
{
$db_object = mysql_connect($_ENV['server'], $_ENV['sql_user'], $_ENV['password']);
mysql_select_db($_ENV['database'],$db_object);
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM $table");
if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
do {
if (!$id == 0)
{
if ($id == $myrow[$idtable])
{
$temp = $myrow[$section];
return $temp;
}
}
else
{
$temp = $myrow[$section];
return $temp;
}
} while ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result));
return "ERROR";
} else {
return "ERROR";
}
mysql_close($db);
}[/code]

And the code I'm sending to it:

[code]for ( $for=0; $for<=10; $for=$for+1 ) {

$datetocheck = mktime(0, 0, 0, date("m"), date("d")-$for, date("Y"));
$checkdate = date("Y-m-d", $datetocheck);
echo $checkdate;
$endgetweekid = SQL_GET(images, weekID, date, $checkdate);
echo $endgetweekid;
}[/code]

But it's just returning:

[code]2006-11-25
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\includo\SQL.php on line 41
ERROR2006-11-24
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\includo\SQL.php on line 41
ERROR2006-11-23
ERROR2006-11-22
ERROR2006-11-21
ERROR2006-11-20
ERROR2006-11-19
ERROR2006-11-18
ERROR2006-11-17
ERROR2006-11-16
ERROR2006-11-15
ERROR[/code]

(Line 41 is the if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {    line)

Can anyone see a problem?

I'm using MySQL version 4.1.10, etc.

Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, the weekID for date 2006-11-19 should be '6'.

EDIT: The four _ENV variables are defined earlier in the script.  Obviously.

-Mindez

[quote author=fenway link=topic=116300.msg473841#msg473841 date=1164505931]
Try adding or die( mysql_error() ) and see what happens.
[/quote]

I'm not quite sure exactly where you want me to add that.  I'll have a go though. :D

EDIT: Well, I added it like:

[quote] if ($myrow = mysql_fetch_array($result) or die(mysql_error())) {[/quote]

and it just displays:

[quote]2006-11-26
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\xampp\htdocs\includo\SQL.php on line 40
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''images'' at line 1[/quote]

('images' is the name of the SQL table.)

It doesn't display any more than just the one error.

EDIT: However, if I remove the quotes around the $table variable, it just says "No database selected" o_O;

Thank you, muchly, for this.

I had two things wrong.  I didn't give my username any privileges in the SQL database (Which was a stupid mistake) and I had "$checkdate" and "date" the wrong way round.

Thanks to everyone that helped.  I'm glad I got it by myself (With a few hints).  Ah, the self-gratification.

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.