Text input

JeremieK

Good Afternoon,

I recently took a position at a new company, and the owner of the company discovered I have a small amount of experience in website coding. My "coding" experience is mostly just taking the code that already exists, and doing some severe copy and paste to create new pages, modify some text, change some pictures, etc. Nothing major.

I do know a little bit of HTML, CSS, and PHP, but no more than anybody else who just looks at some script sometimes would know.

The problem is, he has asked me to help him make changes to the website, but I can't even figure out where the text file is! Even the index.php file doesn't have anything in it. I KNOW I'm missing something, and it's probably something relatively simple, but after 6 hours of digging through every file, I cannot figure it out. My job doesn't rely on this or anything, he knows my limited experience, but it'd be nice to be able to figure this out, maybe with a little help.

As a background, the website is www.darrgroup.com and the page I need to change (for now, anyway) is under the About Us tab. There are names in there that need to go, and new ones that need put in. Can somebody please help me at least find the file on the hosting server where this text is located? I would sincerely appreciate it.

If need be, I can give temporary, limited access to the files. If nothing else, I can create a download-only FTP login for somebody who is willing to download the files to take a look. I don't know if it'll even be that much.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Does this mean I will forever be stuck using Joomla? Because, frankly, it's quite confusing and requires payment to use, unlike other CMS programs. I do have Microsoft WebMatrix, with the IIS Express and PHP support, but it doesn't seem to have gotten me any closer to my solution.

Does this mean I will forever be stuck using Joomla?

No. 

Because, frankly, it's quite confusing and requires payment to use

Never used Joomla so cant comment on how to use it, but I do know Joomla is free to use even for commercial use. Maybe you are referring to how much your company is paying for hosting?

The problem is, he has asked me to help him make changes to the website, but I can't even figure out where the text file is! Even the index.php file doesn't have anything in it. I KNOW I'm missing something,

Joomla is a Content Management System. All data will most probably be stored in the database, not in indiviual html/php files.To change a pages content I assume you can log into the admin control panel and have an option to change the page contents from there.

Maybe have a read of the documentation to learn your way around it,

http://docs.joomla.org/

Edited by Ch0cu3r

I'm reading the website information and documentation as we speak. It seems that in order to install Joomla, I have to actually upload it to the server. That's confusing, because it should already be installed, due to the fact that there is existing proof of Joomla having been installed in numerous files. 

I think I see what you're saying though. The information in the text isn't in the actual PHP files, it's in the database that was created using Joomla and an SQL server. Meaning I need to get into those database files and change it in there. This goes infinitely beyond my level of knowledge, but there's only one way to learn. Thanks for the help. If you guys can think of anything better (or easier, I can hope) let me know!

That's one of the problems. Joomla appears to have been installed on the server (A lot of the .php files reference being created by Joomla) but it's not on the computers. Should it be?

Also, my boss doesn't have the username/password for it. It was set up by another guy who used to work here that left rather abruptly. He never gave the information to my boss. 

Well, I took your suggestion and typed in the www.darrgroup.com/administrator. Unfortunately, it is indicating that i have reached my bandwidth limit. That is unfortunate. I suppose I will have to figure out a way around that now. Thanks again for your assistance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.