=\ I need help with a Query

l3rodey

Hi, go easy on me please, I am not a pro and I am more than likely doing this the incorrect way. 

$date = date('Y-m-d 07:00:00', strtotime('-24 hours'));
$getJobs = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM jobs WHERE status='1' AND dateofenquiry>='$date'");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($getJobs)){
	$clientName = $row['name'];
	$jobID = $row['jobID'];

$getNotes = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM notes WHERE jobID='$jobID'");

if (mysql_num_rows($getNotes) == '0'){
		$getJobsa = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM jobs WHERE status='1' AND dateofenquiry>='$date'");
		$TotalNew = mysql_num_rows($getJobsa);
	}

So this is a snippet of my code, I have a query $getJobs and it runs a fetch array I get the number of notes from another table and then If the job has 0 notes then send me an email, Where it is going wrong is $getJobsa and count rows, My table within the last 24 hours has 6 jobs. But only 1 should be showing as only 1 has 0 notes. But my email says 6 when I echo $TotalNew it shows all of them, I know it's within my query but I don't know how to count the notes and put it in a query. 

My question is how do I count the number of rows with the jobID as notes and add it to the 1 query?

noteID     |      jobID     |      note      
1             |          1       |     Testing note

2             |          1       |     This is another note

jobID       |     name

1             |    John Brown

This is my tables, Well what matters anyways, I need to show how many comments in this case 2 for john brown and show the number 2. 2 different tables one which hold all the jobs and one that holds the notes...

SELECT j.name,COUNT(n.note) as comments FROM jobs j

INNER JOIN notes n USING(jobID)

ORDER BY n.noteID DESC

!. Comments should contain 2 rows. Whenever, if you use count(*) the mysql will count all rows in the result set even the comment is NULL.

Edited by jazzman1

you need to GROUP BY otherwise you'll get a single row with total of all notes

SELECT j.jobID, j.name, COUNT(n.noteID) as totnotes
FROM jobs j
    LEFT JOIN notes n USING (jobID)
WHERE status='1' AND dateofenquiry>='$date'
GROUP BY j.jobID

You didn't tell us which tables contain "status" and "dateofenquiry". If either is in the notes table then the query will need amendment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.