Physically removing laptop components.

RuleBritannia

Hello

I wondered if anybody here had any hands on experience with removing some components from there laptops?

One componenet im specifically interested in is the mic.

With this being said, Im also aware of removing the drivers and so on to render the componenet "unavailable", but this is not my concern.

I also mentioned laptops as the circuitry could be different to a desktop, Due to the size constraints I am wondering whether alot of the components are wired in a way that removing one can cause big problems elsewhere.

Thanks for any insight/help in advance.

I haven't taken apart too many laptops, and the few I did I wasn't really paying that much attention to things like the mic and such. I'd suspect however that an issue you'd probably run into is various components all using the same connector to the main board. For instance a lid with the display, webcam, and mic may use a single ribbon cable to connect to the motherboard. As a result disconnecting that cable would disconnect your display as well. You could try and single out which pins control which devices and remove them but you run the risk of permanent damage if you get it wrong.

If you know where the mic is you should be able to pull the ribbon cable (it will most likely disable the webcam too) out that connects to it from the main board.

I haven't taken apart too many laptops, and the few I did I wasn't really paying that much attention to things like the mic and such. I'd suspect however that an issue you'd probably run into is various components all using the same connector to the main board. For instance a lid with the display, webcam, and mic may use a single ribbon cable to connect to the motherboard. As a result disconnecting that cable would disconnect your display as well. You could try and single out which pins control which devices and remove them but you run the risk of permanent damage if you get it wrong.

I assumed something like this, Thanks for your input guys, I will give it a shot either way and post back my results.

Edited by RuleBritannia

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.