this jquery works with coldfusion but not php, help please

zimminy

I worked with PHP for several years, then have worked for the last 2 with Coldfusion.

I do the following in coldfusion and tried the same type of thing in PHP, but PHP does not return proper results.
Does anyone know how I can make this work in PHP? Any tips/help VERY much appreciated, I an my daughter have a lot of coding work waiting for this answer!
Neither one of us can figure this out.

Coldfusion example:

//in the javascript/jquery section of the page:
function getOrders(customerid){
    $.get('scripts/orderrequests.cfc?method=getOrders&custid='+customerid,
        function(data){
            document.getElementById('orderdiv').innerHTML = data;
        }
    );
}

then further down on the page

<a href="javascript:getOrders(#customerid#)">Click here to list all of your orders.</a><br>
<div id="orderdiv"></div>

---------
then, briefly... in scripts/orderrequests.cfc  is the coldfusion function that gets the orders out of the database, and returns an entire html table of the orders
<cfunction name="getOrders" ...>
    <cfargument name="custid" required="yes"/>
    <cfquery.... gets the order info out of db just like any mysql query basically...>

<cfsavecontent variable="tableinfox">
        <table>
            <tr><tr><td>#orderid#</td><td>#orderdate#</td></tr></table>
        </table>
    </cfsavecontent>

<cfreturn tableinfox/>
</cfunction>
-------------------

The scenario beautifully loads the order data into the div "<div id="orderdiv"></div>" above.
Been using this for two years in coldfusion, and I would LOVE to figure out how to do the same scenario in PHP, so I tried..

function getOrders(customerid){
    $.get('includes/gettheorders.php?custid='+customerid,
        function(data){
            document.getElementById('orderdiv').innerHTML = data;
        }
    );
}
<?php
echo '<a href="javascript:getOrders('.$customerid.');">Click here to list all of your orders.</a><br /><div id="orderdiv"></div>';
?>
Then, "includes/gettheorders.php" is just a simple php query that loads the orders into a table...outputs it to it's own page, which then should be returned as that "data" in function(data)... and loaded into the div.. "document.getElementById('orderdiv').innerHTML = data;"

When I tried this with various code on "gettheorders.php", the best I can do is that, "gettheorders.php" can return ONE number "3" but not "content" like an HTML table full of content..
What do I need to do to make this kind of scenario work in PHP? I obviously want to return more content than just a number.

I am so hungry for this answer, you  don't even know.. but then you are programmers who have also banged your head against your desk, so I guess you do!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.