Display Dynamic Text Dependent on Variable

mdemetri2
Go to solution Solved by mdemetri2,

Hi

I expect this is possible. If I have three recordsets but one table. Is it possible to alter the results displayed in the table dependent on a variable e.g. returned from the person logged in. Or maybe its case of have the three tables but only displaying them when the variable is to x, y or z?

So currently, I have one table that displays content, code extract. 

<table width="593" border="0" class="TableContent">
              <?php do { ?>
                <tr>
                  <td width="575" class="TableContent2"><a href="R/zzedit.php?id=<?php echo $row_retail['id'];?>&ref=<?php echo $row_retail['property'];?>"><?php echo $row_retail['id']; ?></a><?php echo $row_retail['item']; ?><?php echo $row_retait['route']; ?><?php echo $row_retail['class']; ?></td>
                </tr>
                <?php } while ($row_retail = mysql_fetch_assoc($retail)); ?>
</table>

Would be great for anyone to point me in the right direction on this or provide some assistance. Appreciated. 

mdemetri2

Is it possible to alter the results displayed in the table dependent on a variable e.g. returned from the person logged in.

Absolutely. You can retrieve the result from database and write it down on the HTML markup, only, for instance if the user_ID = 1, or something similar. If you have more than one result you need to use some looping constructs in php.

Ok, so it is possible as I was thinking. I'm just not clear on how to achieve it at the moment. Easy bit is setting a variable based on a return from the user logged in. 

Its then doing an if else scenario on the table to display the corresponding result set or having the three tables visibility altered depending on the variable returned.....the latter requiring java script I believe. 

depending on the type of user logged in (identified by a variable brought back once the user is logged in)

What is that?

then a different table is displayed - as the query to populate the table is different for each table. 

What are these tables? Can we see example queries for each table

Well, the variable would be $usertype = $row_user['type'] , essentially the result of a query based on '$_SESSION[MM_Username]'. Result would be numeric so user type 1,2 or 3

Example code for one table in my first post. The other two would be the same, but use different recordset / queries to populate. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Edited by mdemetri2

what you are asking to do is simple conditional logic (if/else or switch) or even just a lookup (key/value) array to get values/content based on the user type.

however, you haven't shown what exactly changes for each different type so no one has been able to show you anything. we don't know if a database query just returns different values, or if you produce different amounts of links,...

in fact, you might not need to do anything in your php code and everything would just be handled in the database query statement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.